|Title||Tretire, Church of St Mary|
|Description||Black and white photograph of a sketch of the church of St Mary in Tretire, The foundation stone for the new church at Tretire was laid in June 1855, after the original church had been taken down. During the demolition of the old church, an ancient rude fresco painting depicting the Last Judgement was discovered, and the Ten Commandments were uncovered on the north wall of the nave. Also just above the communion table, a strange east window was found – it was tiny outside but widened to a large aperture within, and was clearly ancient Norman or even earlier. The inside of the walls was crudely decorated with red flowers intended to resemble masonry, but it had been covered by stones from perhaps the nearby ancient castle.
The consecration of the new church at Tretire took place on 18th September 1856, the ceremony being carried out by the Lord Bishop of the diocese. The small bell turret had three bells, and the east window depicts the Last Supper.
|Photographer / artist||unknown|
|Collection Holder||Herefordshire Libraries|